Monday, June 20, 2011

What Does it Take?

What does it take to cross the boundaries of traditions? What does it take to break the bondage of ones loyalties to tradition?

I know I do not have all the answers, yet as I gaze back on my life I realize what has happened to me. You might have a few boundary breakers of your own. Jesus had to overcome the traditions of man and their false interpretations and teachings of the Torah. The Jews were expecting a King to come and take reign over the earth. Through their disobedience God placed a veil over their eyes and they could not see who Jesus was. And yet others burst through those traditions and teachings and followed and believed!

In the Catholic faith and in the home where I grew up there were misunderstood and misquoted scriptures. There were also many superstitions about how God would operate and love or not love me. If I did such and such, Jesus would love me. If I was disobedient then Jesus would cry and not love me. Sick. Right? It was so hard to be little Miss Goodie Two Shoes that I just gave up and went my own way. Along the way, I heard many many times that God is a God of love and that He certainly loved me. Yet, because of those past traditions, I did not really believe that.

Some believe that being involved in a church and being involved in all sorts of works and taking on all sort of obligations will label you righteous, and then worthy to enter heaven. Wrong!

I found that I needed to hear the truth over and over again until it ripped that veil of unbelief and busted those teachings, those misconceptions I grew up with. Some people believe their relationship with Jesus is private and never should they share it. Wrong again. If we go about life keeping our faith the best kept secret we will be holding that veil over a loved one's eyes! Satan can be using us to hold the truth far from those we love.

Today I continue to read the Word and surround myself with those who are proceeding with their faith walk with Jesus. Together we grow and learn and together we can make a difference in the world in which we live.

Today let us pray. "Lord, continue to rip the veil in our lives, in our thinking, and in our upbringing. Bring the truth through those we know, through our private time with you, through the media around us. Burst forth so that we will not be able to contain ourselves. So we will be compelled to share the Gospel with all our fellow men. So that never again will it be the Best Kept Secret! Amen."

No comments: