Monday, July 25, 2011

Needs and Seed?

Needs: I need a new car, some new clothes, a new apartment, maybe. I need some friends. I need a handout. I need a doctor to heal my ailment. I need to see my children or I need to not see my children as much! We could go on and on couldn't we? Whatever our predicament is there we are in the midst of our own turmoil.

Seeds: If I work hard enough I will get my needs. If I know the right people they will supply me with my needs. If I search hard enough I will find the right doctor and he will cure me. If I give my children lots of things and/or money they will want to be with me and will love me. If it is to be, it is up to me. WRONG.

Those needs and seeds are too much work if you ask me. I am not saying that a person should not work nor do research to arrive at solutions to some of their needs. However, if we search out the Word and listen to the Holy Spirit's guidance won't we have all our needs met?

1 Corinthians 1:18-21
Know very well how foolish the message of the cross sounds to those who are on the road to destruction. But we who are being saved recognize this message as the very power of God. As the Scriptures say, "I will destroy human wisdom and discard their most brilliant ideas." So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world's brilliant debaters? God has made them all look foolish and has shown their wisdom to be useless nonsense. Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never find him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save all who believe. (NIV)


Back to seeds. I planted some string bean seeds back in May. Now the harvest is overflowing with RED string beans. I had thought I was planting GREEN string beans. Well there you have it. Red string beans. Being skeptical I searched the Internet to find out what they were all about and how to cook them. They originate in China and are high in fiber and some much needed protein. However, no matter what I do with them I cannot get past the color. I planted other things I knew about--tomatoes, bell peppers, strawberries, and eggplant. I knew what to expect and I am grateful for that harvest.

When the Gospel message comes our way, it is a tremendous seed. It is not just about salvation however. In and of itself, salvation leads us to our ultimate destination to live forever with our Lord, our God in heaven. The purpose of the cross and the shed blood of Jesus are to instill in us the power of God so that we may live according to His standards and produce vegetation from His seed. Now it would be great if we knew what that seed would produce. However, sometimes our lives are so filled with linear thinking and worldly standards we are mislead to look for the wrong harvest.

Psalm 121
A song for the ascent to Jerusalem. I look up to the mountains -- does my help come from there? My help comes from the LORD, who made the heavens and the earth! He will not let you stumble and fall; the one who watches over you will not sleep. Indeed, he who watches over Israel never tires and never sleeps. The LORD himself watches over you! The LORD stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not hurt you by day, nor the moon at night. The LORD keeps you from all evil and preserves your life. The LORD keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever. (NIV)


The seed I am speaking of is JESUS. No other seed will do. And the harvest will come from that seed which the Father planted within our hearts.

"Oh how I love Jesus because He first loved me! Breathe Holy Spirit. Breathe upon me! Jesus is the seed and the harvest will be His love through me, the Hope of Glory!"

When you are confused about your needs and your seed, take a break and breathe. Allow the Holy One to bring you back to the cross and the love blood that was shed for you. Come back and begin to worship, and praise Him for whom He is. Thank Him for your eternal life and the rest of life will unfold unto you!

Blessings, dianne.

No comments: