Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Spiritual Orphan!

 

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
— John 14:18

 

Have you ever felt isolated or alone in this world? If you have, just remember —you are never alone!  Have you ever been at a party and felt out of place, missplaced and alone? Imagine how alone the disciples felt when Jesus informed them that He would soon ascend to Heaven and leave them behind on the earth!

 

What do you think the disciples felt when Jesus told them this? They must have wondered, What will life be like without Jesus? How will we continue without the Master walking right alongside of us? But it was time for Jesus to ascend to the Father and to take His place as our Great High Priest.

 

It was natural for the disciples to feel sorrowful.  It is also natural for us to feel sorrow, when a loved one has passed on.  To the disciples, it must have seemed like the end of a great and exciting life with the Lord experiencing the power of God in the midst of them. Their lives had been filled with adventure, excitement, joy, victory, power, healings, and miracles.

 

Feelings of insecurity and uncertainty are normal emotions for any of us, not only the disciples. We all grow dependent upon the physical, visible presence of the ones we love —when I was young the thought of mom leaving this earth made me forsaken and abandoned.  Sometimes the thought of not being with my grandchildren makes me feel lost.  Greater still, life without my husband Dick would be almost unbearable for me!

 

In the midst of these fears, Jesus promised His disciples, "I will not leave you comfortless." (John 14:18).

 

Jesus was a spiritual father to the disciples. He knew they were completely reliant upon Him. They couldn't make it on their own in the world without Him. This is why He promised them, "I will not leave you like orphans."

 

Growing up, my natural father was not a very good role model nor was he fatherly or nurturing in any way.  When I gave my life to Christ, the Lord was faithful to supply a nurturing father figure to me.  I would say the first loving dad experience was with my first father in law, Stanley (he was a good companion and helper in my life)—then the Lord sent me my husband's dad, Warren.  He was the love of my life.  Warren was always kind, witty and loving to me in all aspects of my life. 

 

Now, I have John, our neighbor in Florida.  He adopted me soon after Charlie in 2004.  To me, he is always there with a kind word and eager to help.  John inspires me through his loving kindness and patience with me as we work together, always listening in love.

 

We have been discussing Luke on Tuesday nights, here in Florida.  Last night we read and discussed Prepare the Way…Make way for the Savior… (read Luke 3:4-6) 

 

Today I was finishing painting our great room.  I did the best I could and knew it was not yet the way John had told me to trim.   I knew I would call on him and he would make my crooked ways straight and those pitted high spots of the knock down perfect.  So when I finished I called on Papa John.  He came over and very kindly told me what a great job I did and preceded to climb the ladder and make my imperfect job perfect!  Praise God!  What an example showing me how God my Faher makes my crooked ways straight!


 

So in the natural God provides for us the people we need to experience His love and acceptance.  The Holy Spiit comes and provides for us the comfort and guidance we also need!  In a deeper and more profound way, the Holy Spirit comes to inspire us onward to the higher call in Christ.  Never leaving us alone.

 

This is John 14:18 accoring to Dianne:

 

"I will not leave you nor let you lag behind like orphans who have been deserted or oppressed by their parents, nor will I desert you like an unfaithful teacher who walks out on his students and leaves them with when they are rebellious or rude."

 

Jesus knew the disciples couldn't make it on their own in the world.. That is why He sent the Holy Spirit into the world to be their new Guardian and Teacher.

 

We cannot make it on our own either — but we don't have to, because Jesus did not abandon us! He did not desert us, walk out on us, or throw us away. When Jesus ascended to the Father, He sent the Holy Spirit to care for us, to guide us, and to teach us. Jesus did not leave us as orphans!

 

THINK ON THESE THINGS:
So I'm not alone! I'm not a spiritual orphan. Jesus has given me the Holy Spirit to comfort, guide, counsel, and strengthen me in every situation of life!

 

 


1 comment:

josephpeter said...

Hi Dianne
I have discovered your blog today with alot of interrest. I stumbled over it.

If i may ask, Have you ever been to Kisumu, Kenya ? And will you allow me to invite you for a women leaders' seminar in one of our rural churches in the village. It has a population of 80 most of whom are women.

I am Rev. Joseph Peter Onyango, married to Zilper and has three boys. I am also an accountant, tax consultant and Auditor. Above all am saved and enjoy partnering with true servants of God in Kingdom building. This noble call has introduced you to me today.,
Blessings

Joseph Peter Onyango (Rev.)