Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Gambler



----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Dick Evans <dick@rwevans.com>
To: Dianne Evans <dianne@theevans.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:17:28 PM
Subject: Re: The Gambler -- done

The Gambler?

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

I know you are probably thinking what in the world does Kenny Rogers song the Gambler have to do with the Scripture and our lives! How does this relate to being effective and productive in our lives?

For God had far better things in mind for us that would also benefit them, for they can't receive the prize at the end of the race until we finish the race. (Heb 11:40)

From the beginning of time the Lord has know us and formed us in our mother's womb! He even proclaimed to us that His plans for us are for good and not for evil.

For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11)

He is our living hope, the hope of our salvation and the hope for a bright future. Hope is the anchor to our souls, yes? And the blessed hope who dwells within us is no other than Jesus Himself!

The only way to know that Jesus is our living hope with in us is to be in the Word allowing the Holy Spirit to connect us in a intimate way with the Father and the Son. Relationships just do not happen in a microwave. It takes time to know one, their ways, their needs, and their desires, their hopes and their dreams! And so it is with God. To really know Him we should spend time talking to him and listening to the Spirit guide us to know His ways, desires, dreams, and hopes for us!

There is another old song out there that goes something like this:
To Known know know him is to love love love him and I do, and I do …

As I go about just living life to the fullest, He is always there for me! He is whispering in my ear secrets to life. The other day I was riding to the beach asking the Lord to give me an instruction for my life. Lo and behold, I saw a biker dressed in his Speedo outfit, riding his ten-speed down Flamingo. So Lord what does that have to do with my life? He said digest the biker! So I took a quick look and remembered what I saw. It was a very fit older gentleman riding a ten speed bike with his outfit and helmet. After passing him, I realized he had two canteens  "assuming" water strapped to his waist. He must be on a long journey, I thought. Then scripture came to mind.

Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. (1 Corinthians 9:24)

Hold tightly to the word of life, so that when Christ returns, I will be proud that I did not lose the race and that my work was not useless. (Philippians 2:16)

You bet he was definitely suited to win the race. Dressed in armor that would not hold him down or get in his spokes (Ephesians full armor of God) and equipped with the necessary refreshment (Holy Spirit) for the journey ahead. There was no turning back for this guy. He was focused straight ahead and no dilly-dallying either. He was peddling at an even pace..

We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward. Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God's throne in heaven. (Hebrews 12:2)

 

What a lesson to be learned. No matter where I find myself on the journey home, I will remember, with the Holy Spirit's help, to reinforce my armor and keep my focus on the prize! I will be just as the one virgin, waiting for the Lord, was prepared because she had oil in her lamp. Lord, I pray you will have me sheltered in the shadow of the Almighty so my oil will always be filled to over-flowing. For I know that in and of myself I will fail, and I cannot succeed; but oh, the Blood and oh, the Spirit within will protect and guide me through the trials of the day and the people around me will lift me up and encourage me in the things of the Lord!

 

Our dedication to Christ makes us look like fools, but you are so wise! We are weak, but you are so powerful! You are well thought of, but we are laughed at. (1 Corinthians 4:10)

 

So, Kenny Rogers had some good advice after all.

 

·        You have to know in your innards when to "hold 'em". Stay put and wait for the Holy Spirit's input.

·        Know when to "fold 'em". Your job is complete. There is no more fruit to be had here.

·        Know when to "walk away". Listen carefully and discern when it is better with things left unsaid and walk away.

·        Know when to "run". Get out of town when you are not welcomed . Better still, run from evil and run to God!

·        Don't count your money while sittin' at the table". People don't need to see you all puffed up with all those good deeds you boast . Keep focused at the task at hand and leave the rest to God.

·        There will be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done. God himself is the rewarder and when you have finished your race He surely will reward you!

 

No comments: