Sunday, March 21, 2010

From Babies to Friends

Once we had babes to be cared for and nourished in all ways. Now they have grown to be our equals, friends, and peers!

I know I have said in the past that my boys are my babies. I have even told our grandson Ryan that he will always be my baby just like his dad is my baby. He thought that was kind of neat and said he would be my baby even though he was an older brother to Aaron.

In reality, when I look upon our children, I no longer think of them as babies to be feed, sheltered, or cared for in any way. They have grown up and made a life for themselves. They are self sufficient! We have each matured and that is why we can come to one another as equals sharing our God given gifts and talents!

And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend. (James 2:23 NIV)

Abraham was a friend of God. All he had to do is believe and his reward for his belief was a relationship with God. Before original sin, Adam was a friend of God. Adam walked with God in the early morning and in the cool of the night.

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation. (1 Peter 2:2 NIV)

Just as babies crave milk so they may grow up strong naturally, so we do also in the spiritual sense. We give out children milk so they can grow and be mature enough to eat meat. We help them grow physically. How we embrace them and encourage them grows them emotionally. They will eventually become our friends, just as the Holy Spirit grows us spiritually to become friends of God.

A friend loves at all times! As I understand it a true friend is one who sticks with you no matter the circumstances. His or her love is not dependent on things going well. When I search my heart I know our children are truly our friends. We are here to help one another.

Isn’t it great to know that the time of nurturing and caring for our children has transitioned to the point of loving one another as friends?

No comments: