Monday, March 28, 2011

Yielding

I could not help but question when the word permission was used in relationship with the Holy Spirit. What would I rather give permission or yield to? Something in me wanted to say yield but I did not know why. To check it out I went the dictionary to understand the difference between the two word. This is what I found.

Yielding:

  • to give up, as to superior power or authority
  • to give up or surrender (oneself)
  • to give up or over; relinquish or resign
  • to give as due or required: to yield obedience
  • opposite of yielding is to resist

Permission:

  • to consent to expressly or formally
  • to give leave or authorize
  • to make possible
  • intransitive verb to give an opportunity or allow
  • opposite of Permission is to forbid
As you can see there is a subtle difference. Then I began to ask the Holy Spirit's advice and this is what we came up with. When I give another permission it us usually in some sort of formal environment where I am the leader or such-mother, supervisor, etc. I am the one in the know--the person in charge. Therefore I may give someone permission or allow them the opportunity in such and such. How nice of me! Ha!

Now if a person asks permission I may also forbid their right away in that area.

My brain tells me that no way am I the superior in any relationship with the Lord! I am not in charge. He has it all over me! How about you? In that context I cannot see myself giving the Lord permission. Furthermore, as I pondered this I realized permission gives me the inkling that I can take this privilege away from the Holy One. Woe is me!

Now let us reason together to yield to the Holy Spirit. That is to give way to our superior who has all good intentions for us. God is in charge of all the earth and heavens alike and all that dwell therein. How splendid it is to serve this mighty God. Surrender today and yield to His ways in us and for us. Yield by relinquishing all our own will over to Him. I don't know about you, but I really feel yielding to the Lord is much better than allowing Him permission. Lord help us not to resist a life of a yielded body, mind, and spirit.

"Lord, I pray, Allow me to yield to You in all my thoughts, deeds, and my needs. Allow me to serve with the flexibility that will allow me to be driven by Your Spirit! May I resist the temptations that come my way so that Your righteousness reigns within me until that day I come into the fullness of You! Amen."

No comments: