Monday, May 17, 2010

Take up Your Cross

As I was reading the dialog between Jesus and his Father in the garden, the Holy Spirit shed a light on what "our cross" means. Jesus the man cries out to the Father, "If possible, let this cup pass". (Matthew 26:39) The very next moment, in the same breath, Jesus finishes by saying, "not my will but yours".

John 12:27 is the punch line for me. It reads "I came to this hour in light of my purpose". The human Jesus dies to himself by leaving all earthly desires behind to face his Father's divine purpose for his life. He turns away to face his death on the cross.

Our cross is not the heavy burden as I was once led to believe. It is something light, fun, and easy to accomplish. Ah, the cross, therefore, is our divine purpose. It is that purpose the Father has for us to accomplish here on earth. Just think for a moment. Jesus told the fishermen to leave their nets and follow him. What an adventure they had learning, loving, and living with Jesus. They were living in their divine purpose.

So today I call upon the Father and say, "Have Your way with my life, using all for your benefit to advance the kingdom of God within me and those who you lead me to." This is the cross I carry. I am to listen and obey, sharing my life and declaring His love to others leaving my personal desires behind and keeping Him first.

What is the cross you carry to fulfill His divine purpose in your life? What are you letting go of so God can have His way with you?

No comments: