Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Branch

An awesome friend of mine in Christ wrote this poem.  I do believe it will be of encouragement to you.  If you are so inclined, you can check out the book of poems she wrote called Heart Ablaze--Deep Calling to Deep  by Robin Rumbolt.  You can find her book on www.Lulu.com

The Branch

 

I am the branch

God is the vine

My spiritual growth

Is a cycle divine

 

Apart from Him

I can do no good

Only grace can lead me

To what I should

 

Sometimes my branch

Needs a good prune

Things once here

Are now all gone

 

At times my branch

Seems to be in drought

It's when my heart

Is filled with doubt

 

In winter my branch

Becomes brittle and dry

At times like this

I think I might die

 

When seasons change

And I enter spring

New life in my branch

God will start to bring

 

In summertime

My fruit will grow

I'll forget the chill

Of the winter snow

 

When harvest comes

Fruit's stripped from me

It's become so heavy

That it is a relief

 

Then the spiritual cycle

Will begin anew

Apart from God

No good can I do

 

 John 15:5

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in Me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.

  

I wrote this poem in the middle of winter. The day after I wrote it I was sitting in a meeting when a man walked by the window carrying a chainsaw. He then climbed up a tree and started cutting off significant limbs. He continued the task the whole time I was in the meeting. I wondered, "God, are you revving up your chainsaw?" A few days later half my team was laid off at work.

 

I pray that all God prunes from your life will produce more abundant fruit than you could ever imagine.

 

No comments: